Monday, September 12, 2011

back to school success

Another school year begins, and I am determined to keep organized. As the kids get older, it's getting more and more complicated to keep track of their schoolwork, classroom information, activities, etc. So this year, I've developed a new system for myself to keep it all together. So far, it's working. I bought these containers from Target, and they are in the closet of our mudroom. I've been trying to stay diligent about going through papers they bring home each night, and tossing them (I really don't save too many...) or saving them in these containers (also in this container is other things to get put into a scrapbook --awards, ticket stubs, etc.


But of course I save some papers...and I had to save this one that I found in Mad's folder (grrrr I can't get it to turn the right way. )



First, I purchased 3 inexpensive floppy sided binders. I put each child's name on the binder.


Inside each one has a calendar for the month with any activities, piano lessons, sports, due dates of homework, etc. I also put in any school/class info that might prove to be helpful through the year (instead of stuffing it in my island drawer unable to find it when I need it). Any other important papers go in here as well, such as hot lunch forms, spelling words, school picture day info, book orders, newsletters, etc. At the end of each night, we open it up and make sure we have everything ready for the next day.

Something else we have in the binder is a checklist. This is also something new we are trying. We've tried a pebble system, among other things, but so far the checklist is proving to work well. A list of "did you..." questions is on the page, and if the task is completed, we put a star. If it doesn't get completed, we put an "X", and if it doesn't apply for the day, we put a dash. I have also printed "behavior bucks". Each binder has a pencil pouch that will be used to keep track of their behavior bucks and stars. Mike and I have yet to determine exactly the rewards for "X" amount of stars and bucks, but I think we have a good thing going


I found this site to help me with ideas for charts/behavior bucks/etc. Check it out!! Now if only our mudroom still looked like this...(photo taken a few days before school started)

1 comment:

Morgan said...

wow...you are super organized and ready for school this year! Keep up the great work!