Monday, October 22, 2007

WOWSERS!

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE RECENT PICTURES!
Though Friday was pretty crummy weather, Saturday and Sunday were unseasonably sunny and warm. Great days for working on the house!! Well, so much has changed in a short amount of time. I will post lots of pictures!! The kids and I went out there and brought the guys lunch Sat. and Sun. It's a great excuse for me to go take tons of pictures. I have lots of scrapbooking to do...

I never thought a pile of wood would make me emotional, but seeing our walls stacked on our driveway Friday, I was so excited!! I felt like jumping up and down, doing a happy dance, cartwheels, whatever. I seriously felt like I won the grand showcase on The Price Is Right or something! I get butterflies driving to see the house when I go to see how far they've come on it.

This morning, Maddie and I walked through it. All exterior and interior walls of the first floor are set. The garage isn't up yet, so all the pictures I post do not show a garage. It was so strange to walk through the house we pretty much designed ourselves (with help from Mike's Dad and an architect!). We never walked through a model of our home, we walked through lots of models and tried to take all the ideas we liked and put it into one house. Then we tried to fit all of that into that picture I found in the magazine. So once our plan was drawn up, we saw it on paper for so long and just had to visualize what we thought it would look like, or what we hope it would look like! But now to walk through and see where the walls are and say "this is a good sized closet, this is the bathroom, oh sure I'll have plenty of room for a desk here". It is so strange. I've been told that it seems much smaller than it is when it is in this stage which seems ridiculous, but it is hard to actually picture it all finished & drywalled (which we are months away from!!). I am still in shock that we will live there, I think!!

We (I mean, I) have so much to pick out yet. Mike pretty much put me in charge of that "small" task (haha!). If he doesn't like what I pick, he'll let me know : ) We are going with all white woodwork and doors in the house. I know, we must be crazy fools to have white everywhere with 3 small children, but I don't care!! We have the idea of the cabinets in the kitchen picked out (they are going to be stained maple with some kind of glaze over them) and that needs to be finalized and they need to be ordered relatively soon. I have the cabinet layout drawn out of the kitchen, even a head on look at what I want each wall to look like. I am just not sure on a couple of the things...like how many drawers do I want in the island?? Do I want the pull out garbage here or there? Such minor things to think about, but it has to be done...I think I could draw our plan to scale with my eyes closed. Especially the kitchen. I've drawn and redrawn it so many times...I should become a designer, I swear. We still have to get a kitchen sink picked out, too. And appliances. I'm still fighting for my double built-in ovens, which Mike is attempting to veto. I'll fight till the end : ) So also I have to decide if I want white cabinets in the laundry room or not. I always wanted white cabinets, and since we aren't doing them in the kitchen, I thought the laundry room would be a good spot to do that. I have ideas for paint colors in every room, though we are pretty far away from that, too. I find that I have a really hard time not thinking about the designing aspect (like what pictures will fit on which walls) and that is really not important right now. Gotta decide things like what carpet, what tile, what hardwood floors....while I am searching the internet for cute ideas for kids bathrooms. Oh well : )

No comments: