Tuesday, July 1, 2008

No end in sight

The kids and I have been keeping busy--swimming, sprinkler runs, ice cream, Great America (took the 2 older kids with my sister), the zoo, baseball, and more. I also signed up Maddie for some dance and gymnastics, and I am considering signing up Cal and Kaycey for gymnastics, too. It's nothing major, just for 5 weeks for something else to do to keep us busy seeing as we aren't going to be in our own house anytime soon. Probably will sign them up for Fall soccer. Crazy to think sign up is in a couple weeks, and school registration night is alreayd a month and a half away.

Yes, sadly it's been 3 weeks, and I haven't posted. Mostly because there wasn't much to say about the house; there hasn't been a whole lot going on. As of a week and a half ago, the cabinets still weren't done being built, let alone stained or painted. I had to drive up there (again) to get the color right since the first time it was off. We've had to reschedule appliance delivery twice so far, probably another time, too. SO while the cabinets are supposedly being delivered Thursday night, they have no doors because the doors aren't done. That means the hardware isn't on them yet. I wonder if the shelves are even in inside the cabinets. This has been one of the most ridiculous parts of the whole house process. I've spent more than 10 hours in the car just driving to the cabinet place. That doesn't count how many hours I spent there, or spent at Home Depot, Menards, and Lowes looking and pricing out cabinets there. What a joke. They better look damn good for the time it's taken and the time I've spent driving and dealing with all the crap.

I wish I would've gotten a picture of the area above the cooktop, that looked awesome. Here are some of our unpainted unstainted cabinets sitting in the warehouse. These are the bathroom & laundry cabinets.
Building the island & nook "L" bench

Here are kitchen cabinets and mudroom lockers(all the way in the background you can see the 4 side by side lockers)


The real kicker--the cabinet maker won't have time to install the cabinets now for weeks(really it was supposed to be his job) , so Mike and his Dad will be installing them. So Mike has little work he can even do out at the house until the cabinets are in. More frustration--I've called multiple places about the stone for the fireplace and no one calls me back. I even physically went in to a place and they printed a copy of the picture I want the fireplace to look like, and they haven't called back. There is so much to be done yet, really. No end in sight, so sadly don't ask when we are moving, because quite frankly it looks like never. Once the cabinets are in, the countertops need to be cut for the sinks, the sinks need to be put in, the faucets, the toilets, the fixtures for the tubs/baths need to be put on, the carpet will need to be put in after the fireplace stone is put on, the stairs need to be rebuilt, the entire porch needs to be started, the dirt has to be moved back where it belongs, the light fixtures need to be put up (was supposed to be done last week, electricians never came). All this to get our occupancy permit, and there may be other things too. Well, cleaning the entire house, too, before we would move. Mike is going to wait to do the closets (the interior design-shelves, rods, etc.) till we move in, which stinks, but he has so much to do, and closets aren't one of those things we need to do to get the permit to move in. They are #1 on the list of "to do's" once we move in, along with planting grass, finishing the bonus room, putting casing around the doorways that don't have doors, doing the bathroom in the basement,putting a deck on, pouring a patio, and so on... This is all a huge headache. I knew building a house was a headache and more, but this is freaking ridiculous. Buying a house sounds good right now.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

I'm so sorry to hear of all the trouble. That is crazy about people not calling back or not showing up, that would drive me insane. Here's a little "pat on the back" for mike. He has done so much and I'm sure it is not easy and he is probably so exhausted. I hope this week goes better for you.