Friday, November 9, 2007

Lots to be done...

and soon! Not too much has changed in appearance on the house this week. The wall was put in the open space on the front upstairs part of the garage. Otherwise it's been alot of work not so visible. Yesterday I picked out the shingles and the siding. Mike is hoping to shingle this weekend, along with is brother and brother in law (Mike's Dad and Mom are on their way to Africa today for almost 2 weeks). Anyhow, amazingly enough, they are out of stock on the color I picked (a color called weatherwood). Mike's brother is calling around to see if he can find some somewhere. Not a big deal, Mike says there are enough other things to do all weekend if for some reason they can't begin shingling. For one, the window in the kitchen is being raised up because I want to be able to have a built in sort of corner bench/window seat thing and I don't want it to be to close to the window. There are plenty of other things to do. So as for the siding color, it's called pebblestone clay, similar to the color of a vanilla cappucino, or maybe coffee with cream, I guess (I don't know for sure, I don't drink coffee!). Another thing on the to do list, I need to go through the house and mark the exact places of all sinks, showers, tubs and toilets for the plumber. It sounds like fun to me!! We don't have everything picked out, so that makes it a little difficult to think about where everything is and the size it will be. Other news, the windows are ready whenever we are, so in the next few weeks that will be a project, too, maybe when they are close to finished with the shingling. we have to finalize the fireplace ASAP, too, because right now in the house there is nothing where it is, and after we do pick it out, Mike will have to build the area. Oh, the floor is in the bonus room above the garage. I bravely climbed the ladder the other day to see it. Well, to get to it, you have to step over this open space which looks in to the garage (there will be 2 steps eventually, but not yet...) I almost had a heart attack. I was so scared!! But the bonus room itself is awesome! I can't wait to do something with it (the plan is to have part of it walled off and used for my scrapbooking/craft room). Part of it will be a playroom, too. I'm trying to convince Mike that upstairs we need another shower, and i thought a kitchenette would be cool somewhere in the bonus room (I'm losing the battle as of now) I thought it would be nice to have a small sink, a small fridge and a microwave up there so that when the kids are bigger it could be a movie room or something cool for them. There's even a little area we didn't have in the plan, but that Mike and his Dad did as a storage area or closet or something--I'm thinking it will make a great secret hideout for the kids! i didn't bring the camera upstairs...I was too worried about not falling off the ladder! I hear all the time that once people start building a house they are thinking "I wish we would've done..." or "I wish this room was bigger/smaller..." The only thing I'm worried about (which it's too late to change anything!) is the location of the laundry room. I didn't even think about it when we drew up the plan. But it is as far from the bedrooms as it could possibly be, and there is no way to have a laundry chute. So I'm a little concerned about that. I wish we would've done a different window in the master bath, but I don't really care. That's honestly all that I would change, I think. I love this house!!

No comments: