Monday, April 14, 2008

Insulation underway

A majority of the house is insulated. It looks so different with the walls filled with insulation and covered with this sheet thing. Next is drywall!!! We went in Friday night after the Art Fair at school. I did take pictures, but 1-it was raining and there must have been drops on my lens, 2-it was pretty dark outside. While they turned out ok, I think the pictures would look better if I take them in daylight. So we had another awful weekend. Cold, way too much rain, and even a little snow. Is it November or something??? At least this week is supposed to warm up alot, they are forecasting 70 for Wednesday. That would be great!! So I drove by this morning and the insulation guys were there. I'm not sure how much longer they'll be working, maybe a few days?? The yards out by us are pretty swampy with "streams" running where the ditch by the road is. But one nice thing, all the grass is green out there! Mike worked all weekend, I think did some siding, some inside work that needed to be done before drywalling. So if the restriction is lifted, it's possible to be drywalling next week!! That means we are getting close to painting, and that's a little scary to me!! My plan for today is to go purchase some, if not all, of the lights for the house. Also I want to finalize paint colors since it's right around the corner!! We'll be painting before the finish work & flooring is installed, this way we don't have to worry about painting around the trim or floors. I have been looking through lots of books & magazines again to get ideas on decorating specifics. I am really leaning toward two different finishes in the kitchen. I know Mike really doesn't care for this look, but I absolutely love it. I think he's more worried that it's trendy and in 5 years I won't like it anymore. So what I mean by 2 finishes--I want to do the main cabinets in maple, and stain them a warm color (brown) and then do the island cabinets in white. We are having a built in "L"shaped bench in the nook area, and that will be white. I think by doing the island white, it would really bring the whole kitchen together as well as give a little contrast to the floors, which will be a dark hardwood. Part of me would like to do tile instead in the kitchen, but we've talked about doing wood floors in there from the start, so I think we'll just leave it as is. I am struggling with countertop color. I've seen alot of pictures where the island countertop and rest of the kitchen was 2 different colors. It seems more often than not if people have black appliances at all, they have a darker counter as well. I prefer a neutral/tan/cream colored countertop. Some pics I have found of kitchens that have a look I love:


1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

I think tile in the kitchen is a pain to clean...so maybe you'll be happy with the wood after all. I can't wait to see pictures with it all up!