Friday, August 15, 2008

More ups and downs...

So the appraisal never happened. The appraiser came and in and claimed the house isn't done (even though we have an occupancy permit). He said everything has to be finished in order for the house to be appraised. I do see how it makes sense (the closets, cabinet doors, etc) but why not appraise it at what it is right now? Without the appraisal we cannot close on the loan. So it's looking like we'll have to go elsewhere for the loan. A huge headache.

Found out that a 2 foot wide strip of carpet is missing in one of the bedrooms. And carpet was not put in one of the closets. It just keeps getting better, I swear. What is even more irritating, I called the guy we were working with TWICE to make sure they counted the closet in figuring the carpet. He obviously did not. They are also saying we gave them an old plan, one in which we had cabinetry in the great room, meaning they'd need less carpet. While that is true we gave them an old plan, we sat down and talked to our guy and "X"ed out the cabinets and explained the updated version. Besides, it shouldn't affect the upstairs; they're two different carpets. I really don't care for the first floor carpet; I thought it was more speckled, if that makes any sense. I just didn't want hard wood everywhere, but now I am thinking it would've looked nicer. Oh well, furniture will cover most of it up, right?

The mantle is stained...I really wanted white, Mike wanted stained. I let them stain it. I wish I would've fought that battle a little more; eventually I think I will paint it white. While it looks very nice stained, it just doesn't seem to go with everything else, since everything else is white (well, except for the wood floors and railings).

Mike says he is sleeping there tomorrow night. I am just happy knowing we got the permit, but quite honestly I'd rather take my time and have more finished than not, so that everything will havea place when we start bringing stuff in. I don't want to have piles of clothes on the floor until the closets are done. I'm perfectly fine knowing we are able to move stuff in.

Today is my Great-Grandma's 86th birthday. We went over there last night for snacks and dessert and I thought it was so cute how Cal was telling her all about how much he loves baseball and Cal Ripken (she's a HUGE baseball fan). It was nice to have the family together; it's not often we all get together.

Cal starts flag football in a couple weeks. He's been very obsessed with the Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers ordeal. It's funny to hear an 8 year old's take on it, and you can tell he gets some of his statements from the news or radio (or other grown ups talking about it).

Kaycey ended up getting her hairpiece yesterday. Last week it was a little too big, so they had to alter it. It is real hair, you can wash it, curl it, dry it, whatever. It's a little on the poofy side, but it tames down afterwhile. Kaycey wanted it long enough to do pony tails, and she wasn't sure she wanted bangs. The stylist had recommended bangs because of the line of the wig, but honestly, you can't tell. So we decided to leave it long all around, but the gal trimmed pieces to framer her face a little too much--they aren't long enough to pull back. It's not like it will ever grow, so I was a little bummed, but we'll just have to use barrettes I guess. I have pictures, but my battery is charging for my camera so I can't upload them yet! She seems to think its cool, though, so that's what is important. I am worried about it staying on, though. They didn't shave her real hair off, and the wigs stay on much better without hair under it. There is a special tape to use to keep it on, and it doesn't go anywhere(she had it on yesterday--Mike hung her upside down and it didn't come off!), but it doesn't feel great to take it off with the tape stuck to real hair. She really seems worried about having it at school, but she said she is going to wear it every day at school, but maybe not at home or soccer.

School starts in 17 days!!! I can't believe how this summer flew by.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

ok so I guess my Yay comment on the previous post doesn't really work anymore, since you are still having problems.

I am happy to hear that things are going well with the kids.