Wednesday, June 30, 2010

sound off on movies

I know I am protective, maybe even extreme, when it comes to my kids. I am especially a nut when it comes to movies. I NEVER ever ever have even seen a horror movie (and don't want to anyways). My parents were picky when it came to what we could or couldn't watch, and I am thankful for that. I don't think it's a bad thing to keep your kids from seeing unnecessary things. I know I could likely be in the minority on this, but I don't care. Mike thinks I'm crazy for being so extreme when it comes to movies, but I don't care. PG-13 are not allowed in my house. There are even a handful of PG I won't allow. One off the top of my head--"Monster House". A cartoon, yes. A movie for kids under the age of 12, no. Ratings are there for a reason in my opinion. And the way they rate things these days...ridiculous. When I was little, I guarantee alot of the now PG-13 would've been R then.

So this Twilight phenomenon...I am totally not into it, I don't get it at all. No offense to those who do, I am probably the only one who hasn't read or seen any of them : ) SO you love the movies, the books, BUT, would you take your eight year old to see the new Twilight movie? I think you know my answer.

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I'm totally with you. No, Twilight is for teens. The books are in the teen section and the movies are PG-13 (I think.) I love Twilight, but definitely don't think it's appropriate for all ages! Katie told me that Randall on Monster's Inc. said "stupid" and that's a naughty word, so we decided not to watch that one anymore. :) Gotta teach 'em young!

Rhonda said...

According to my oldest - who is STILL not allowed to watch The Simpsons -- I am too strict as well!! That is fine - people can say what they like - my kids my rules (and the husband as a little say too) LOL

Keep up the great work!!

Beth said...

OK. I was just thinking this exact same thing today. My cousin took her 10 year old to see twilight and was very surprised. I think some parents are so bent on being "friends" to their kids instead of parents. Then again, some people also allow their kids to have a facebook account when they aren't even out of grade school...but they'll be the first to complain when thir kid is a victim of internet-wrong-doing...oh boy, don't get me started. Anyway, I always watched movies before I'd allow my kids to. I remember other parents thinking I was over-protective, but too bad...my kids are better for it.

christina said...

Twilight should only be for teens and older! Nathan said to me the other day that maybe he could play games rated t for teen. Uh... absolutely not! As I tell my kids, we're the parents and when they are grown ups (like age 30, they can do whatever they want)
LOL!