Wednesday, August 17, 2011

vay-cay

as in vacation. as in I am in much need of one.

We came back from "vacation" only 10 days ago or so. But not exactly my idea of a vacation...(insert photos of me on vacation cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry here). We were 40 minutes from a Walmart, Target or REAL grocery store. Haha. I don't do well out in the wilderness apparently. And the trip began way too eventfully when we were caught in a storm driving. The storm had definite circulation; was it a tornado? Don't know for sure. But a tree fell down in front of my vehicle while driving, and the back window in Mike's truck was either blown out or hit by debris. Mike pulled over and made the kids get in the ditch; I was about 20 minutes or so behind him. Yes, what is a vacation without a few stories to tell.












But the house itself was right on a lake, and it was very nice, and the kids had fun tubing for the first time & we are glad our boat could handle it (the boat is 20+ years old!). Mike enjoyed fishing (as did the kids).

So, now I am ready for a REAL vacation. Mike and I are trying to plan something, hopefully for fall (our favorite time to go away) and in celebration of our 10 year anniversary (which is actually in December). Comtemplating Vegas (for just a night, since we've never been there) and take a road trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix. But worried that's cramming too much into 5 days, and then trying to coordinate dates, flights, rental car (they are SO expensive!), and different stops is alot of work!! So speaking of vacations...where do YOU want to go?? Do you have any money saving travel tips??

6 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Do it! It'll seem downright easy without your kids! :) That sounds like a great vacation. Sorry, I don't really have any tips for you; the only vacations we go on are to see Tyler's or my family.

Mary said...

It's a lot easier to find deals during "shoulder" seasons at popular destinations.

Katherine said...

You know where....Tahiti here I come! Okay, you also know that is not true. But how about a trip with my scrappy friend to Hannah's after the kids go back to school. I'll take that for now.

Elizabeth said...

why are rental cars so expensive?!?! Sort of thought about San Fran, Mary. As for Hannah's, count me in :) wish you could join us AMF!!!

jessicaj said...

Doug and I are going to Vegas in a matter of days! (It was really last minute) We are just going for a couple days. Rental cars are expensive, you should try booking it through priceline or hotwire Ive always had good luck there in the past for our trips to Orlando. So, could this Mama join you on your Hannahs trip? I now have two in school! So its just me + the little one.

Mary said...

A car is useless in San Francisco. Take the cable car, bus or walk!