Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A sad day for the nation...


Brett Favre is retiring. Well, we'll have to do something at the new house to honor the greatest quarterback of all time. Maybe a Packers mailbox. Or paint the swingset green and gold. I could just kick myself for not going to a game this past season. This will mean probably waiting in line again for another Sports Illustrated with Brett on the cover.

In house news, it was really mild on Sunday. We even ate lunch outside at the house. (I have pictures to post of that!) Mike worked alot on building the area will the fireplace will go. I have to say I was a little disappointed about the siding. I thought more of the siding would be done. I guess the shingling of the porch roof was more time consuming than I thought. We have a temporary front door and sidelights until the real one comes in. I can't believe how small the door and downstairs windows look. I hope once the porch railings and steps are done, it'll all come together. It looks so tan...Mike and I both were second guessing the siding color a bit once we saw it on the front of the house. The porch makes the siding under it look so much darker than what it is. It looks like two different color siding sections when you look at the garage and the portions where the porch covers the house. It's so hard to imagine what the finished product will look like!!

I went to a 4th fireplace showroom yesterday. I found a fireplace I loved and tracked down a place that carried it. The place has alot of product, but it's out in Wales/Genessee area, so a bit of a drive from here (not too far from our new house really). I was devastated when I got out the plan and the guy told me it's not even possible to have a fireplace where I want it. I was so shocked. So I got in the car and called Mike instantly. Long story short, turns out I somehow had an old floor plan when our fireplace was on the outside wall. Something about the outside of the house in that old plan is different than what it really is now as built. So anyhow, it got worked out, and we are waiting for a bid from the place. It's a much simpler fireplace than the one I initially liked. It has no doors (it has glass) and it has an arch top. I'm not positive on the stone, I just knew I wanted it to be an arch. We plan on stopping the stone mantle high, but part of me wishes we would go up to the ceiling, except that both Mike and I think it's looks silly when stone goes up to the ceiling and has to be cut at at angle because the ceiling is that way. We do plan on having the fireplace stick out a bit in the room and drywalling to the ceiling. I plan on having the fireplace itself several inches off the floor (no seat by it though) and having one of those iron looking gate things around the fireplace. I can't imagine with kids we'll use the fireplace much anyways. It seems kind of dangerous to me!! At least it'll look nice : )

No comments: