Wednesday, October 7, 2009

He made it!

Okay, not that I didn't have confidence that my husband could run a marathon, but I was really nervous...he had never run a half marathon, and the most he ever trained for was 16 miles. he fully intended on doing the full training, but had major knee problems earlier Spring/Summer and actually had quit running for 2 months (by order of the Dr.) So he certainly didn't do the training he should have. But he had already signed up for the marathon and wanted to give it a shot. Here he is, just 100ft or so from the finish line.
He crossed the finish line still running! And I thought he looked great for just running 26 miles. Alot of people were looking like they were in pretty rough shape, be it medically or just because they were so emotional. I don't think I'll ever understand what exactly possesses one to run 26 miles for fun, but after seeing the people cheering, and all the runners crossing the finish line, I see the dedication and amazing mindset those people have (something I mustn't possess, I guess). So he got his "FINISHER, LAKEFRONT MARATHON 2009" medal. And while he doesn't think he'll do another one anytime soon (he's talking a couple years, maybe), he is now trying to convince me to start running and that I should do a 5K (3+miles or so). I'm not so sure this peep-loving, ho-ho eating, current junkfood-chocoholic can handle the thought of that.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Good for Mike! I think your time would be better spent scrapbooking than running. Eating goes with scrapbooing too...that's always a plus!

Mary said...

#1 Reason for running 26.2 = to prove that you can.

My offer still stands, I'll take you running anytime after the little one arrives.

Beth said...

How Awesome! You must be super proud!!

AnnaMarie said...

Wow, that is amazing. You can definitely do a 5K no problem. If I can do it (hello, cinnamon toast for 2 meals today) you can, too.

Rhonda said...

That is awesome! I never used to understand what made runners want to run either -- until I had a son that LIVED for running... still does. Is it sad that I know what a "fartlek" is??