Saturday, March 28, 2009

quiet day...

until the snow storm comes later!! Right now I am listening to the girls playing (though I can't quite figure out what they are playing. SOmething with animals, I hear some "yeehaws", and then there was something about choosing between being a cleaner and a pick 'n save worker. I wonder where they get their ideas from sometimes) Cal and Mike are at soccer. Mike volunteered to be the coach for Cal's team, as there were no other takers. Some of the Dad's said they would help, but we'll see. Cal has never played soccer before, and Mike hasn't played in probably twenty-some years. Hopefully it goes okay. Cal is on an all boys team, and they travel to different places (not so close places out here in the country!!) I don't know if I'm ready for this growing up stuff.

WHich brings me to another point, the growing up stuff. We went to the school dance last night (at their current school) and I was shocked. We did attend last year as well, but I remember them playing the songs by Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, and High School Musical. For this year's dance, I am not joking when I say I felt like I was at a bar or club. They played rap music (now generally I don't have a problem with any music, but at a dance for K-6th graders, TOTALLY inappropriate, I thought). It wasn't even the fact it was rap music, but some of the songs I couldn't believe I was hearing. Another one that was played "Sexy back". Now, I like Justin Timberlake, but REALLY?? I was appalled. And the way some of the girls were dressed, oh my goodness. Fifth and sixth grade girls. What are their parents thinking. I'm feeling better every day about the decision to switch schools. Even if our kids aren't happy with that decision right now.

So this morning I went on the new school's website and looked around. Here's the list of the activities/sports I found that are offered: band, forensics, drama/talent nights, junior choir, Computer, Math, & Science Club, Pioneers (like girl/cub scouts), Co-ed Soccer grades 3-8, Girls' Volleyball grades 4-8, Co-ed Cross Country grades 3-8, Boys' Basketball grades 3-8, Girls' Basketball grades 3-8, Girls' Cheerleading grades 5-8, Boys' Wrestling grades K-8, Girls Softball grades 5-8, and Boys' Softball grades 5-8. And they are in need of a cheerleading coach...I'd love to do that, but we'll wait and see. Either way, I think this will be a great place to be.

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

I'd agree about the music choice...too bad. But hopefully the new school will be all you hope it will be!

Of course we missed you at the store yesterday. I only went from 11-3 so I could have some time with Tyler on his day off.