Wednesday, January 28, 2009

goals...

The kids have goal reading calendars for school in which they are supposed to read so many minutes a month and at the end of the school year they earn carnival tickets from the minutes they've read throughout the year. Last year they both exceeded the minimum minutes required, and this year is no different. Kaycey has become a bookwork practically overnight. At the beginning of the year she really struggled with words and spelling. All of a sudden she can read almost anything you put in front of her!! Cal's teacher would like to have him tested to be put in a gifted reading group. The homework he brought home today brought back memories from one of my favorites about grade school--reading a few chapters from a book and having to answer questions on those chapters. I remember I was always done with the book in a day or two, even though we had a week or two to do it. Once in high school my AP World History teacher gave us a book report assignment and while we could choose the book (from a specific list), he challenged us to read "Pillars of the Earth". I was the only one who took on that challenge, and I read the book in a few days (it was 1000 pages long). I really miss reading the way I used to. I'd love to start reading avidly again. Anyone with good book recommendations?? Anyhow, Cal is supposed to be on chapter 4 for tomorrow; he is on 8. Perhaps he'll be alot like me!!

Onto my project goals....I think I've decided to use Fancy Pants' "Daily Grind" collection for my carousel. Not that I am going to stick with just that; but I wanted something to start with. I love this collection so much!! Office looking, yet colorful; I think it will be easy to work with since I'll be able to use B/W photos as well as color photos, and it'll all flow nicely. I'm excited to start this project. I haven't been doing half as much as I used to. It seems ever since we moved out to the "boonies" I don't scrap as much; mostly I'm guessing because it just isn't as convenient to go to the scrap. store whenever. I have so many projects I want to do!! A small book from when we went to Mackinac Isl, an NKOTB concert book for my cousins, sister, and myself (laugh if you want--but I have the perfect paper and embellishments for this minibook!), and at least 4 other 8x8 books or smaller that have been started but not finished. The more I scrap the happier I am. I really should bring the stuff out more often. I don't know what I'd be doing if I hadn't started working at the store. I don't know what I'd do without my scrap friends, either. I'd be so bored : ) If it weren't for my scrap friends, I wouldn't cry as much (to the point of laughter, that is!!)
Daily grind paper collection:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I think that is a GREAT choice. Can't wait to see it.

AnnaMarie said...

Ooh, I love that collection too. Get ready to scrap, because I haven't scrapped all MONTH, despite being so inspired by my mother in law's scrapbook room, Scrapbooks, Etc., and CHA! I'm dying to scrap! We'll have to get together out at your house sometime! Yay! I'll call you!

Oh, and books: I have a list of books on my blog, with five stars being the best ones.

jessicaj said...

We so need to scrap you are all right! We should get together as soon as AnnaMarie gets back! :)