Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas thoughts

I just have to say I am so happy and proud of the fact that our kids are not greedy, and are happy for whatever they have. They don't ask for much (particularly birthdays and Christmas) and it's next to never that they would ask for anything while at a store or a check out line, and I can't think of a time they've been unhappy about a gift they've received. I can honestly say that our kids get a just a few special items they may have asked for from Santa, and that's it (of course Grandpas and Grandmas and Aunties buy for the kids, but for the most part, no one goes overboard and Santa keeps it real simple). While at Old World Wisconsin with Cal, they discussed what gifts were given in the 1880's--an orange was a wonderful present to a child. An orange!!!! How did the holiday become what it is today?? It is really sad, I think, to see how overly commercial and materialized it's become. I'm glad we keep it relatively simple for the times we are in.

For the second year in a row we are sponsoring a family and purchasing gifts for them. This year it is a single mother with 4 boys, and she lost her job this past summer after her (5th) son was killed in a car accident. I love doing this. It makes me a bit sad, but at the same time it's very gratifying to know we are the ones to help make their Christmas more joyful. It really puts things into perspective and I know it makes our kids feel good to be helping to get the presents for the family. The requests on this family's Christmas lists are such simple things that we take for granted like laundry soap, socks, boots, thermal underwear...it really makes my heart feel for them.

One of my favorite Christmas quotes: "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." ~Burton Hillis

2 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

Thanks for sharing that! It seems like I can simplify my Christmas even more after reading that!

jessicaj said...

You Rock Elizabeth!!!!! I really had a fun time with you at JoJo's! You are a great date. LOL Go check out my blog to see the picture that we took!