Friday, December 26, 2008

Merry Christmas to all...

I'm glad to be home today, with absolutely no set plans, and no reason to have to leave the house. The week leading up to Christmas is always crazy, with at least 5 family get togethers, often more. Tomorrow is another family get together. I am glad to just sit at home & let the kids play with all their stuff all of today.

This past Monday morning was a really rough day, no reason in particular. Maddie woke up crying with a sore neck, she couldn't even turn her head. I, of course, was listing all the things in my head that it could be. Meningitis crossed my mind, though she didn't have other symptoms. I did call the doctor and got her in; figured best to be safe, esp. right before Christmas instead of ending up in Urgent Care or the ER. The Dr. said she likely slept funny since she could turn her head one way and not the other. It's much better now, but it was a bit of a scare at first. A 3 year old sleep funny? Have you ever heard of such a thing? Then the real scare came on that same day when Kaycey told me she had a bump under her arm that hurt. I freaked out and called the Oncology clinic immediately. After putting me on hold, transferring me, telling me they'd call back, (they are notorious for giving the run around); they did call back some time later and told me to call our pediatrician. This is always their response. I said this was the same arm that had been bothering her for months, and still just the "call your regular Dr." That is so frustrating. Our pediatrician didn't catch it the first time, why would she catch it now? Neuroblastoma is virtually undetectable without specific testing. After looking closely under her arm, it looks like she has some sort of scratch and scab, so that's probably what is hurting her. I don't know what it's from, and I will still take her in to the pediatrician to alleviate my worries. Probably nothing, that's why I haven't brought it up, but still I'll feel better once someone tells me it's nothing.

Anyhow, more about Monday...I was so happy my friend called me out of the blue. I really was so happy to hear her voice! I've been feeling kind of lonely, I haven't been working much, haven't been scrapbooking at all, and haven't seen any of my friends (for no particular reason really, just busy with holidays mostly I think). Anyhow, I also stopped by a couple friends' homes later that evening to drop off movie tickets that were ordered, and talking to them made me feel better, too. So thanks to my girlfriends, for making my day! : )

To add to my uneasiness surrounding Kaycey's health, Christmas Eve she wasn't feeling well most of the day. She ate nothing for dinner and no cookies (strange!). All the kids were exhausted from a long day and 3 hours at church singing in two different services. But, Kaycey was really tired and fell asleep on the couch shortly after opening her presents. While the adults were opening gifts later on, Kaycey started throwing up in her sleep. She had a fever, too. So while it could likely be a bout with a flu bug of some sort, I can't help but be nervous. No one else has gotten sick as of yet, and when she first got sick 4 years ago, we thought it was the flu (that no one else happened to catch). I think you can understand my anxiety and nervousness, and probably overreaction, too. This has really been on my mind more than ever before lately, and I'm not sure why it's different this year from any other.

I haven't been on the computer much at all in the past week or so. Just haven't had much time, and haven't really been in the mood either. It just hasn't felt like Christmas much this year...I've been thinking of too much else. I do have some great pictures though, and I will post them soon.

1 comment:

AnnaMarie said...

Thanks for posting. I hope everything is good with Kaycey and it is just the flu...I'm thinking about you and praying for you.