Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Sister's Keeper

So I was in Walmart a while back, and this paperback book was only $6. I knew what the story was about for the most part, and heard it was a good read. So I bought it. I've been looking to read more. Anyhow, it sat in a bag for a month. I thought maybe I shouldn't read it, given our history...that maybe I'd be an emotional wreck and relive the past (to a point). But, I finally pulled the book out the other day and began to read.

I am only about 50 pages into the book. Rather than being an emotional wreck, quite honestly it is making me angry because it is too eerily familiar. Angry at the doctor lingo, angry at the danorubicin and cytoxan (chemo drugs), angry at the lack of info for the parents, angry that I know so much about all of it. Geez, Elizabeth, it's just a story. But it's so real. I honestly feel like the author took some of my very words and thoughts from 4 years ago and put them into this book (mostly from the mother's point of view in the book so far). Hmmm...do I keep reading??

2 comments:

Beth said...

no...what's the use? You know it all already and shouldn't. I can't even imagine going through something like that.

Katherine said...

I've had that book for about 6 months now and have only read the first couple chapters. I was thinking of taking it on my vacation for my read....Hmmmmm new perspective when thinking of it from your point of view and as something that is closer to reality.

You are a special mom Elizabeth! I admire you!