Wednesday, February 4, 2009

what a relief...

I have only good news to report today! So I breathe a sigh of relief until the next round of tests...
I'll begin with yesterday's events. We arrived for the hearing test, and were told we didn't have an appointment!! It quite honestly did not surprise me. I don't know if in our history at Children's we've ever had an uneventful, stress-free experience. At least they were quick to figure out where the problem was. The secretary fromm oncology never sent the order for the appointment. Lucky for us, there was an audiologist on hand with no scheduled appointments so she took us back within 20 minutes or so. The hearing test went as well as could be expected. The results were virtually the same as her last one. Her high pitch hearing has suffered from the large doses of chemo she had. I could hear the high pitch beeps long before she could, and she had head phones on that were giving the beeps. But she doesn't need any aid for it at this time. Next her pulmonary function test went fine. Lastly for yesterday she had an echocardiogram. On first look, the cardiologist said everything looked good. But Tuesday's tests weren't what I was particularly worried about...

So onto today. We arrived bright and early, not having had any breakfast (she was NPO from midnight on). Again, we waited. It was 45 minutes after our scheduled appointment that we were brought back. First she was injected with the contrast for the bone scan. She did not take it well. It was the first time in years she cried to get poked. After that it was on to CT's. She had to drink contrast. And then more waiting. A long time. CT's went well, though she was upset in there, too. After that, bone scan. It went fine, too. She chose to watch "Snow Buddies" during it. After about 20 minutes into it, they turned the machine so it rotated around her body. I was freaking out, because they have never done that before. My insides were shaking!! I was worried the tech saw something that they had to get a better view of. But, we had to wait till our 2pm appointment in clinic to find anything out.

We went for lunch and came back to the hospital. When we arrived really early for our appointment, they called her back right away to get her vitals. We happened to be placed in a room next door to Jack. What a strange feeling; two kids, same diagnosis, two totally different lives right now. I feel so awful for them. WHile I am so happy we are so fortunate to have Kaycey doing so well up to this point, it is so sad that so many others are not doing well. Why does it have to happen to anyone??

Once we were put into the room(1:20ish) , we waited until 3 o'clock for the nurse practitioner to come in. I see nothing has changed around there, though that's the longest we've waited in a long time. I am incredibly inpatient!! Especially when nervous. The waiting was terrible. Mostly because I kept invisioning a team coming in to explain things we wouldn't want to hear. I was hoping we'd see our oncologist, but she was in a meeting. Anyhow, the NP came in and said she only had good news!!! Yea!! They are so pleased with everything, in the next 6-12 months provided nothing comes up before that, they want to place her in "long term survivor care" instead of under the oncology team. This is good news. At the same time, the good news is hard to take...it means fewer visits, fewer tests. For me I think to myself, how would they catch the cancer if it came back?? Their answer is that generally the kids know if they aren't feeling right to the point where it would warrant further tests. As we left, we saw our oncologist and took Kaycey's picture with her.


So while we breathe a sigh of relief, the nervousness is lifted for the time being!! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. They certainly helped : )

3 comments:

Beth said...

Excellent news!! I'm so happy things went well. She's such a little cutie pie!

Katherine said...

I am so glad the results brought good news. You and Kaycey are strong gals and an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.

jessicaj said...

Yeah Kaycey!!!!!!!! I was thinking about you last night as I was drifting off to sleep. You deserve this Elizabeth. I will continue to think about you as you continue on into this new phase of care. :) :) :)