Monday, February 2, 2009

Withdrawl and Worry

Wow, posting twice in one day...
I don't know what we'll actually do with our Sundays now that football is over. Literally every Sunday during the season, we have football on from noon until night. Not that we necessarily sit and watch every moment, but quite a bit. Maybe I can say I will devote all that football time to doing something more productive. Like cleaning. Or scrapbooking. I like the sound of that. Or laundry (I think I did 12 loads in the past week, and will never be caught up--the laundry room is again overflowing, and I just quietly close the sliding door, and pretend it isn't there sometimes!!)


I changed my blog background, yet again. I think I needed something colorful. I think I have the winter blahs. It's nice the sun was out today (or does that mean a longer winter for the groundhog, I can never keep it straight).

Well, this week is the big week. Kaycey's tests start tomorrow bright and early. Just gotta keep praying and crossing fingers and whatever else it takes for her to still be considered cancer free. I have been a nervous wreck leading up to this. And I was stuck talking about it all day yesterday (I don't know if it was good for me or not) because Kaycey had a birthday party to go to. I took her, and she didn't want me to leave. So I hung out with the other moms who stayed (they are a group of friends). The birthday girl's mom asked me how Kaycey's cancer was doing (I am assuming she heard it from the teacher or maybe the mom I talk to regularly). I explained she was NED status (no evidence of disease) and then she wanted to know the whole story. Ironically her daughter and Kaycey were in ICU at the same time. Her daughter (the birthday girl) had gotten some bad strain of the flu, caught pneumonia, and then something else. She stopped breathing and was taken by flight for life to Children's. Anyhow, how strange we were in ICU during the exact same weeks. I tried to remember seeing her in ICU or walking the halls, but then figured, was I really paying attention to the other people in ICU? Anyhow, then a couple other moms walked up and I had to start over, because they asked why Kaycey was in ICU. I was surprised so many people were unaware of Kaycey's cancer. Mostly because there was a letter sent out last school year that all the parents were to supposed to receive in kindergarten discussing her lack of hair due to cancer treatment and talking to their children about being kind and sensitive, we're all different, etc... because so many kids were bugging her about it. By the end of the year, some kids turned a little mean, and hence the wig. Back to the party--so when we were leaving, birthday girl's mom said, "Good luck this week with your tests, we'll be thinking and praying for you." SO another mom wanted to know what that was all about. Sheesh. Well, I am happy that so many actually know the story now. But I must've sounded like a broken record to some moms. I try hard not to be someone who talks and talks endlessly about any sort of drama especially around people I am just meeting or talking to for the first time. Unless someone asks or I know that they want to hear about it, of course. I don't want people to have to hear a story ten times. But I was kind of center stage yesterday, talking most of the afternoon about something that makes my stomach turn. So I am, of course, really nervous for the next few days. Kaycey has this big bruised area under her ribs which has me worried because it seems to have appeared out of nowhere. It's been there for a couple weeks. Easily it could be from playing or roughhousing, but of course, I will be nervous until I hear it's nothing. So I end on a nervous note...while I try to go get some sleep!

4 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I will be thinking about you all day today. Love you!

Katherine said...

You know you and your family are in our prayers this week. If you need a distraction give a call and we can talk about scrapbooking supplies. Hang in there friend!

jessicaj said...

You are in my prayers this week. I hope that are doing ok as the week progresses. Please feel free to call upon me if you need anything.

Beth said...

I'll certainly be praying for all of you!! Please let me know if you need anything.