While I have been more deep in thought about this than Mike, we did talk about it. We both agree our location is perfect, especially for him to go to work (it takes him less than 30 minutes, and rarely is there traffic). But we both are in agreeance that our neighbor situation, quite honestly, sucks. I have my reasons, and he has his; but we see eye to eye on that. He is much more willing to live with it than I am!! My issue generally lies with the naughty neighbor kid, and the grumpy Grandpa. But we recently found out from the neighbor on the other side of us (a REALLY nice guy. Older, but always looking out for people, a bit nosy perhaps, but really nice) told Mike that Grumpy Grandpa dude has been complaining to neighbors that since we built our "monstrosity" next to him, he has alot more water in his basement. Okay, before we built he told us he had some problems. Mind you, since Grumpy found out we were building a 2 story house, he was irate anyhow. He told us we were taking away their sun (uh, the houses are far enough apart, our house never shades them at any given time). How frustrating. Mike is worried this guy will take it to the Town Board or whomever, and then people would come out and force us to hire engineers (again) and change the grading of our lot ($$$$). That's all pretty hypothetical, and possibly unlikely. So Mike told me we all have to be extra nice to Grumpy dude and his goofy grandson just in case. Ugh.
So on that note, Mike and I were discussing the possibility of moving. This obviously isn't a sure thing, and we just threw it out there knowing we are both okay with it, at the moment anyhow. We've heard many people who have built houses within the first year talk about building again (oddly), maybe that notion will wear off for us, too. BUT, so--to my 10 year plan. If we did move, we think it would be in about 10 years. Cal would be in college, the girls in high school, and little one would be 5th grade or so (okay, that's all very scary!!). We absolutely love North Prairie (Cal plays sports out there). It's another 18 miles NW from where we are, but it is even more "country", WAY more land/bigger lots, and added bonus--it is the same high school district as our current one. Or stay in our town, just get more property & not in a subdivision. So anyways, like I said, this is all hypothetical, but of course it's on my mind. Another piece to the 10 year puzzle is me becoming a pharmacist. It could be done, though it may be tough. If that happens, we could move, and we'd hire alot more out if we did build again (which I can't imagine moving into a house you didn't design, after having already done so)instead of Mike working on it so much (though there are some things he would not give up doing because he enjoys it). Or maybe instead we'll buy a boat & a little getaway cabin on some lake somewhere. Ten years is really a long way off, I know. Big dreams. But that's okay : )
1 comment:
Wow, those are really big things to have happen in 10 years. I don't know what 10 years will bring for us. I think I'm more interested in making it through the next week until I have my house to myself again. :) Good luck!
Also, there are TONS of houses in Minnesota on which to build or buy a nice house. :)
Post a Comment